Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nesting = ADD + OCD

Measurement to date (35 weeks):
Mom up 20 pounds
Baby Boy Klausner 5 pounds 11 ounces
Baby Boy Klausner's head size measuring in at 36 weeks and 2 days
Dad surprisingly slimming down after trying to keep up with Mom

As the measurements were tallied off, the sonogram technician made a point to let me know that this is a nice sized baby. As a matter of fact, he's within the 42nd percentile. Then I had to stop and think, "But am I?" (Not even close!)

This far into the pregnancy, I am still feeling surprisingly well. I keep waiting to wet my pants when I sneeze, or walk with my legs spread wide, or watch  my ankles become cankles. Luckily, these treasures seem to be leaving me alone. However, when asked if I have any food cravings, the only thing I could think of was TUMS! Pop 'em in the morning, pop 'em in the night, keep 'em bedside, and I'll feel all right. 

In addition to my Tums addiction, I'm finding a new meaning to nesting. I never knew that people were so incredibly nice when diagnosing nesting. Nesting should be relabeled Pregnant Insanity. How else do you describe waking at four in the morning begging the sun to come up just so it would be acceptable to start dusting? The true meaning of nesting this far along in pregnancy combines the ideas of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with Attention Deficit Disorder. Having so many thoughts go through my mind is somewhat of a joke as I walk back and forth from room to room having no idea what I was just thinking. Even my dog, who has been known to follow me room to room, now plops down in the center of the hall just waiting for my final destination point. Placenta Brain has taken over my nesting. Just yesterday, I observed three incomplete projects meshed into an area. There sat the paint can, the bare bed with a pile of clean sheets sitting atop it, and half-cleaned hand-me-down baby toys. All tasks were from the day before. Even this morning as I awoke, I made a mental list of at least five things that I'd like done today. Right now I can remember two. 

So as my baby boy continues to grow, it's obvious that he needs more blood and nutrients. Perhaps Placenta Brain occurs as your body pulls the blood from your brain and pools it towards your belly. And, the bigger the baby is, the higher the occurrence of Placenta Brain. So come on 8 pounder - my forgetfulness is finally excusable!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment