Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fading Comfort


The past three months were filled with physical comfort, and a slow and steady expansion that was easily adaptable and welcomed. But suddenly, the last two weeks have brought changes that have begun to happen at a much more rapid pace. This can only mean that the third trimester is quickly approaching. 


The Physical Changes:

#1 - After a full day of teaching in my heels, I found myself barefoot behind the wheel before I even left the parking lot. My feet seemed to have lost their youth overnight while I started to dream of foot-rubs and Naturalizers. That night, as there was little time before heading out with my husband, I had a very important choice to make. I had to choose between sex or a massage. My aching feet took over control and I did what I never thought I would; I wanted the massage. No hesitation. That’s what a chose. A new error had begun.


#2 - While trying to make breakfast the other morning, I reached to the top shelf of the cabinet to grab a bowl for my cereal. But, to my surprise, there was something in the way. My stomach smacked against the cabinet, so I twisted to the side, reached up on my toes, and once again, played Bumper Belly with the counter. I eventually had to succumb to using the plastic bowl that was on a lower shelf. Only thirty minutes later, I was again playing Bumper Belly while reaching for my toothpaste in the medicine cabinet. Needless to say, cabinets have since been rearranged. 


#3 - Going back to the first time I felt movement, I was shocked by the strength of the kicks. There were no flutters, but rather one hard, strong blow to my stomach. Since then, I’ve been enjoying the movement and laughing to myself over the routines and “personality” that comes along with the movement. For example, so far I’ve found that sugar and music get the baby moving. When feeling alone, all I need is a bowl of ice cream or a session of Guitar Hero to know that I have company. Of course, there are still many random moments of movement. Just yesterday morning, I awoke at 6 a.m. to steady and forceful blows to my belly. In less than ten minutes, I was able to count forty (yes, FORTY) kicks, punches, and slides.  Is this baby ready to get moving or what? 





1 comment: