Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Ice Cream Incident

My husband has always had a sweet tooth, but this sweet tooth has somehow wondered into my bloodstream while carrying his child. I knew that carrying a child carried certain risks. However, no one mentioned the risk of inheriting traits of your husband. Part of his blood is now technically a part of me, after all. 

Marc has always been known to have severe cravings that control his daily routines. In the middle of even the busiest schedule, time must be cleared for that bowl of chocolate ice cream. Or after a four course meal, there was always time for Thomas's Sweets (best NJ ice cream spot!) chocolate blended ice cream. No matter the circumstance, his belly ruled. 
 
Throughout this pregnancy I have constantly been waiting and wanting for food cravings. In a bizarre way, pickles and ice cream or midnight food store runs sounded entertaining. I thought I'd get a kick out of these new flavor inventions.  And until yesterday, I would hold fast to the notion that I did not have any cravings. But then I ran into the Ice Cream Incident. Coming home from a busy day of professional babysitting (i.e. subbing), I could think of nothing more relaxing that sitting on the couch with my feet up and a big bowl of ice cream spooned down my throat. To the freezer I went only to be disappointed by my lack of treats available. I even succumbed to the last dairy free tofutti treat. No, this replacement ice cream did not taste like my chocolate haven, but when in need accommodations to the taste buds must be met. 

Later that evening, while talking to my husband, the evidence became apparent - on his face. There on his lower chin was a massive glob of chocolate ice cream mixed in with his facial hair. I ran to the freezer, but there was no ice cream to be found. In a frenzy I ran back to my husband demanding, "I see it on your face - where is the ice cream?!?!" He knew he was busted. But why? He had it hidden in the back of the freezer! When I asked why, his only explanation was, "I didn't want you to eat all of it."  

That's when it clicked. Did I really inherit his disorder of sweet consumption? I immediately looked back over the several few weeks and saw myself scooping spoonfuls of ice cream between meals and even before breakfast! I then remembered the bags of cookies I devoured on an almost routine basis. Perhaps the cravings have come after all. 

1 comment:

  1. That reminded me of when Tony Soprano would watch tv and balance his ice cream bowl on his belly. His is probably bigger than yours.

    ReplyDelete